This CQI/IRCA certified course is for individuals who want to develop the knowledge and skills to carry out audits within the aerospace/defence supply chain and assess conformity with the demanding AS9100:2016 Rev D standard. It will also help to develop their wider understanding of modern (process-based) aerospace/defence quality management systems documentation and implementation.
TEC are a UK-based organization also approved by the IAQG to run the AATT courses for certification body auditors. Consequently, you will be learning how to audit using the AS9101:2016 requirements as well as the ISO 19011:2018 guidance.
This CQI/IRCA Certified AS9100 Lead Auditor Course is applicable to the 2016 revisions of the AS9100, AS9110 and AS9120 standards - which includes ISO 9001:2015.
TEC are an CQI/IRCA-approved Training Partner (Reference: 01200706) and this is an CQI/IRCA-certified Training Course (Certification Number: A18173).
The auditing methodology is identical to that used by the Certification Bodies and is based on the process-based approach which places equal emphasis on -
- assessing the effectiveness of QMS processes (PEARs), customer satisfaction and supplier performance
- conformance with the stringent requirements of the AS9100:2016 series of standards and applicable customer, regulatory and statutory QMS requirements
- exploiting the IAQG 9100:2016 Auditor Guidance Material to augment audit questions
Delegates who successfully complete the course and pass the 2-hour written examination (+90% pass rate) satisfy the formal training requirements of the IRCA scheme for registration as –
- AS9100 Aerospace Lead Auditors
- AS9100 Aerospace Principal Auditors
- ISO 9001 Lead Auditors (if required)
The 5-day course is based on the principles of Accelerated Learning. It is highly interactive and uses quizzes, group exercises, individual audit role-play scenarios (with the Tutors) and a realistic (aviation) Case Study. The course timings are -:
- Monday 08:00 - 17:00
- Tuesday to Thursday 08:30 - 17:00
- Friday: 08:00 - 15:00
Pre-course training materials are e-mailed to delegates to enhance their understanding of AS9100 requirements.
The course is delivered over 5 consecutive days with the 2-hour written examination taking place on Day-5. The public course fee includes a 3-course lunch and morning/afternoon refreshments on all days.
TEC's tutors are all IRCA-certified Lead Auditors or Principal Auditors with many years’ experience conducting audits in the aerospace and defence sectors. Our tutors are also IAQG Master Trainers who have been delivering the IAQG-sanctioned AATT Courses & Exam since 2009 - we train the certification Bodies!
- Welcome – registration, welcome and introductions
- Quality management system terminology
- Quality management system standards
- the role of the 7 QMPs (quality management principles)
- Audit personnel, skills and questioning techniques
- Evaluating arrangements for risk-based thinking
- Understanding the context of the organization purpose and strategic direction
- External and internal issues
- Relevant interested parties and their requirements
- Understanding the different types of audit
- Audit elements and methods
- Scope of the QMS
- Determining and evaluating audit programme risks and opportunities
- Third-party certification, accreditation and the 3rd party audit stages
- Pre-audit activities
- Processes and the process approach
- Undertaking the stage 1 audit
- Creating the stage 1 audit report
- Audit planning
- Formulating effective audit questions – 1
- Formulating effective audit questions – 2
- Determining conformity and nonconformity
- Creating an audit work document and reviewing the QMS and artefacts
- Using the IAQG 9100:2016 Auditor Guidance Material to augment audit questions
- Review of specimen exam questions
- Commencing the stage 2 audit
- Conducting the opening meeting
- Auditing in accordance with the stage 2 audit plan
- 11:15 – 12:00Managing audit interviews effectively and handling communication throughout the audit process
- Conducting a ‘mock’ face-to-face audit
- Session times for these individual ‘mock’ audits will be allocated by the tutors, and scheduled on a team basis –
- each student is allocated 30-min to audit the tutor(s)
- Teams not actively participating in the role play exercise must undertake the following tasks in parallel –
- conduct an audit of the case Study’s top management activities
- creation of an ‘investigation template’ to be used to audit the corrective action process
- The teams may schedule their own lunch breaks
- Feedback and review of the team tasks
- Review of specimen exam questions
- Writing and classifying NCRs (nonconformity reports)
- Presenting (the ‘mock’) audit results as formal NCRs
- Auditing (operation) process planning and effectiveness (PEARs)
- Auditing support requirements
- Auditing how an organization addresses customer satisfaction
- Auditing leadership (top management)
- Evaluating the organization’s arrangements for their internal audits
- Evaluating the organization’s arrangements for continual improvement
- Preparing audit conclusions
- Delivering the closing meeting
- Reporting the audit
- Evaluating arrangements for handling nonconformity and corrective action
- Closing remarks
- Final questions and comments
- Written Examination
- total time available – two hours (120 minutes)
- Tutor advice focused on IRCA applications for Lead Auditor or Principle Auditor certification
- Course completion
Who should attend
The course requires that you have a reasonable knowledge of AS9100:2016 and have some auditing experience. To assist with your pre-course preparation and further familiarization with the Standard, an Exercise Paper will be included within your confirmation letter once you have booked your training place; you will need to complete and bring with you on the first day of the course. It is important that you also bring your own copy of the AS9100:2016 Standard with you for reference purposes.
The course is primarily intended for -
- Quality management practitioners such as quality management consultants and quality managers
- Employees conducting quality management system audits within their own organisations (internal audits)
- Individuals wishing to apply for IRCA AS9100 Lead/Principal Auditor grades (also ISO 9001)
- Quality management system auditors, such as those employed by third-party certification bodies/registrars or by purchasing organisations (second-party auditors)
- ISO 9001:2015 Certification Boby auditors wishing to understand AS9100 Note: to undertake third-party AS9100:2016 certification audits it is also required that CB auditors successfully attend the IAQG-sanctioned AATT 2016 course.
In particular, it helps delegates get to grips with those issues of ever-increasing importance such as customer satisfaction, QMS performance, effectiveness & continual improvement of processes, risk-based thinking, supplier evaluation and the essential leadership role of top management. Particular emphasis is placed on sector-specific topics that include Customer Satisfaction, Traceability, FAIRs, Project Management (APQP/PPAP), KCs, RCCA, Risk Management, Human Factors and Product Safety (Ethical Behaviour). It shall help delegates to understand how these critical issues can be embedded into the quality management system of an organisation.
TEC provide pre-course material to assist delegates to address any gaps in their knowledge of the requirements of the AS9100:2016 series of standards.
By the end of this AS9100 Lead Auditor Course delegates will be able to demonstrate achievement of the course learning objectives, which are to:
- Explain the purpose of a quality management system, of quality management systems standards, of management system audit, of third-party certification and the business benefits of improved performance of the quality management system
- Explain the role and responsibilities of an auditor to plan, conduct, report and follow-up a quality management system audit in accordance with ISO 19011:2018, and ISO/IEC 17021 and AS9101:2016
- Have the skills to plan, conduct, report and follow-up an audit of a quality management system to establish conformity (or otherwise) with the AS9100:2016 series of standards (including ISO 9001:2015) in accordance with the current editions of ISO 19011, ISO/IEC 17021 and AS9101
- Evaluate the leadership of top management
- Know how the CBs undertake their audits, and what types of questions they ask
Successful completion of this IRCA-certified AS9100 Lead Auditor Course satisfies the training requirements for IRCA certification to all grades of Quality Management System Auditor.
For the individual concerned, qualification as a IRCA-certified Lead Auditor or Principle Auditor has international recognition. For their organization is demonstrates that the internal and supplier audits are being managed and undertaken in a highly professional manner acceptable to Certification Bodies and Customers.
“I would like to take the opportunity to thank you again for the AS9100 training you have delivered to Al Ain between 13th and 17th September to the Strata team. It was very beneficial and I have already made use of the learning in my day to day job”.
“Your training style was excellent! We were expecting to sit in a 5-day of boring training on AS9100 but found actually a very pleasant, interactive with lots of examples & activities and efficient training not only about the standard but also about auditing as a whole. So it was great and we all had positive feedback”.
Erika Kevina Guduff – Strata (UAE)